Sausage gravy is a perfect gift for winters. It is creamy, meaty, and so warm that it will help fulfill your cravings for any time of the day. We are here to normalize this perfect gravy because it is so special, so so special that we all have eaten it in the holiday season for breakfast, lunch, and dinner too. But it is like a deconstructed base for many dishes that you will be surprised to know.
Today we are going to share a favorite family recipe that will make you an expert in making sausage gravy. Honestly, this blog is not just about how to make gravy but also about how to eat it and serve it. Believe us, we have tried all of these serving ideas, and you will be amazed that there were so many possibilities to eat it without a biscuit. So why wait? Let us on to the recipe!
- 1 pound Pork sausage torn into pieces
- 2 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk lukewarm
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Low-sodium Chicken broth warmed
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- ½ tsp Italian Herb Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, pour the olive oil on low heat.
- Add pork sausage to the skillet and cook until caramelized and browned.
- Once the sausage is cooked, add butter to it.
- Melt the butter and add herb seasoning and garlic. Sauté them for a minute.
- Add flour to the skillet and sauté it for a minute or until the flour is cooked.
- Now remove the skillet from the heat.
- Pour milk, chicken broth, and heavy cream into the skillet and mix to avoid lumps.
- Bring the gravy to a gentle simmer and mix it gradually.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serving hot with butter biscuit.
Serving Ideas for sausage gravy
Tired of eating this sausage gravy with just English butter biscuits, then here are a few serving ideas that will step up your serving game:
- Serve it over the Roasted hashbrowns or fried potatoes.
- You can use it as a stuffing for baked potatoes, loaded potatoes, poutine, or loaded fries.
- Delicious with Hasselback chicken or potato.
- It is perfect for jazzing up roasted vegetables. For example, one of our favorite ways to eat it is with roasted cauliflower steak and over Brussel sprouts.
- Use it over steak or roasted meat with gravy.
- Free feel about eating it with pasta and roasted vegetables; honestly, it will be like eating creamy gourmet pasta at home.
- If you are a big fan of biscuits, then you will love to eat them with butter toast as well.
- Serve the gravy with crackers and crunchy vegetables for snacking.
- Use it as a filling for shepherd’s pie or a pot pie. Honestly, it will be so quick and delicious.
That Sausage Gravy looks yummy and heavy on the calories. Looking forward to trying it on some biscuits. O’yeah! Mmmmmmm I can almost taste it.