A very delicious and easy-to-make recipe. The crust on the chicken is so crunchy, and the sauce is tangy and sweet (and sour, too). Give it a try; you’ll never order takeout again!
I am a sucker for anything fried. I will always go for that crispy but juicy chicken over a healthier alternative like baked. However, aside from my love for fried chicken, this baked sweet and sour chicken is delicious and healthy.
If you would like to make a tasty well as a healthy chicken dish for lunch or dinner, this baked sweet and sour chicken will be the best choice.
To me, baked sweet and sour chicken tastes great with a bowl of rice, whether boiled or stir-fried. But it also pairs perfectly with noodles.
Today, I am going to share how to bake perfect sweet and sour chicken. It is easy to make. You just need a baking dish, chicken fillet, some spices, and sauces to prepare it. It will take less than an hour if you have everything on hand. So let’s get started.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt and ground black pepper as much as you like
- For sweet and sour sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Cut chicken into roughly 1-inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to about 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or lightly oil it.
- Combine ketchup, garlic powder, sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce in a bowl; place aside.
- Season chicken with pepper and salt. Add cornstarch and toss lightly to coat. Dip each chicken piece into the eggs one at a time.
- In a big saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Cook the chicken for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Take out to a dish lined with kitchen paper towels to drain any extra oil.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking pan. Toss with prepared sauce mixture—Bake for around 50 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Turn the chicken over after 15 minutes to ensure equal cooking.
- Garnish with green onion for added flavor and color. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- For faster and even cooking, try to use equal-sized chicken pieces.
- You can adjust the spices according to your taste.
- If you have any leftovers, you can refrigerate them for up to 4-5 days. Just make sure to keep them in an airtight container to maintain the flavor.
That’s all! Next time you are in the mood to eat sweet & sour chicken, save yourself the work, pile on the flavor, and make a batch of this baked sweet & sour chicken. You will be happy that you did.
Additional recipe from Minkys Meals: