Biscuits and gravy are the ultimate recipes and one of the favorites in our house. You are going to love the taste and especially the homemade biscuits. If you want to make this dish quickly, you can use store brought biscuits as well. They will taste the same and will be made easily and quickly if you are expecting guests at home.
You can make it if you have kids at home and even add some vegetables to it. Casseroles are the easier way in which kids can eat vegetables without any issue. You do not have to force them and they will be getting all of the nutrition. Moreover, you can make some sides too like some homemade wedges, roasted beans or asparagus, chicken bread, and potato balls. Serve with some extra sauces or ketchup and it will turn out to be a great dinner.
Biscuits and gravy casserole recipe
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Eggs 8
- 2 pack of Jones dairy farm breakfast Sausage or patties
- Unsalted butter 2 tbsp
- Flour 4 tbsp
- Whole milk 4 cups plus additional 3 tbsp
- Dash of hot sauce
- Scallions sliced 2 tbsp
For making the biscuits:
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Baking powder 1 tbsp
- Flour 2 cups
- Butter half cup
- Buttermilk 3/4
- Let’s start with making the filling first. Take a saucepan and put it to medium heat. Add the patty or sausage and cook it till it is brown and crispy. It can take around 5-8 minutes depending upon what you use.
- Add the butter and flour, mix it for 1 minute. Gradually now add the milk with salt and pepper according to your taste. As soon as the filing thickens remove it from the stove.
- Take a bowl and start whisking the eggs with 3 tbsp of milk, salt, and pepper. Add in the end the dash of hot sauce around 1 tbsp. It gives a delicious flavor to the recipe that you will love.
- Grease a baking dish and add the eggs to it. Now pour your sausage or patty mixture on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes only to set the eggs and gravy. Let’s go to the making of biscuits to finish our dish.
- Take a bowl and add the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in it. Mix it well, and add the butter to it. You can now mix it with a spoon or a blender until the butter is mixed with the dry ingredients. Slowly add the buttermilk and with the help of a spatula keep mixing it.
- The dough consistency will become more stable now and you can add a little flour if you think it is too runny. With the help of your hand, now mix the dough for 5-10 minutes. Cut the dough in half and make small biscuits of it. It will be enough to make 9 biscuits.
- Now, place the biscuits on the top of the baking dish. You can brush with buttermilk and heat it for 20-30 minutes. Now, every layer will be set.
- Cut it small pieces and garnish with scallions or if you like maybe parsley or herbs.