I want to share a comforting and delicious dish that has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember – Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. This dish is a warm, hearty, and filling breakfast that is perfect for those lazy weekend mornings or when you have a big crowd to feed.
Growing up, my mom would make this casserole every Sunday morning without fail. The aroma of biscuits and sausage filling the kitchen would wake me up and make me feel so cozy and at home. I remember gathering around the table with my family and digging into the soft and fluffy biscuits, smothered in a rich and savory gravy.
As I got older, I started to make this dish for myself and for my friends. It always brings back fond memories and comfort. The best part about this casserole is that it’s so easy to make and requires minimal prep work. All you need is some refrigerated biscuit dough, sausage, eggs, milk, cheese, and a package of gravy mix. It’s a one-pan meal that will have everyone at the table happy and satisfied.
One of the keys to making a good Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is to use high-quality ingredients. I like to use a good quality sausage that has a nice balance of spices and seasonings. The gravy is also very important, as it brings all the flavors together. I always make sure to use a gravy mix that has a rich and creamy texture and a good depth of flavor.
When I make this casserole, I always start by preheating the oven and greasing a 9×13 inch baking dish. Then, I line the bottom of the dish with biscuits. I cook the sausage in a large skillet until it’s browned and crumbly, and then I spread it over the biscuits. I then whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and pour it over the cheese layer. I mix the water and gravy mix in a saucepan and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until it’s thickened. I pour the gravy over the egg layer and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Finally, I bake the casserole in the oven until the eggs are fluffy and the cheese is melted and bubbly. The result is a warm and comforting dish that is perfect for any time of day. The combination of the flaky biscuits, savory sausage, and rich gravy is just unbeatable.
In conclusion, Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is a dish that brings back so many happy memories for me and it’s a staple in my household. It’s a comforting and satisfying meal that is perfect for those lazy weekend mornings or when you have a big crowd to feed. So, give it a try and see why this dish has been a family favorite for generations.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Cooking spray
- 10 oz refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cold water adjust as needed
- 1.5 oz package of pork gravy mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange biscuits at the bottom of the prepared dish.
- In a large skillet, cook and stir the sausage over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly (5-7 minutes). Drain and discard the grease. Spread the sausage over the biscuits and top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl and pour over the cheese layer.
- Mix water and gravy mix in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened (1-2 minutes), adding more water for a thinner consistency. Pour over the egg layer.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the eggs are fluffy and the cheese is bubbly.