For my instant and delicious dinners, I have always relied on the recipe of beef barley soup. You can make it anytime you like and prepare it before then freeze it for instant serving. If you have a big family or guests that come as a surprise then this recipe is a real-life saver. We all have difficult routines and some of us have to work all day. Dinner is the time when you sit and talk with your family. Now, this recipe will allow you to have a nice soup and chat with your family.
Let me tell you that there is nothing good as a whole, taste, and comfortable hot soup. Especially in winters, this recipe is to kill for. You will feel so good and can enjoy it with other things as well. Like you can make delicious dinners with it and it can go as an appetizer. Believe me, I am all for the comforting food as they surely make my day. Instead of just making meat loaves or casseroles, I burst my mouth with the flavors of barley, vegetables, and beef chunks in this heavenly soup.
Try this once and it will surely become your winter favorite recipe. You can even make it for the holiday season and store it to serve for bigger feasts and parties at home.
Beef Barley Soup recipe
- Water 9-10 cups
- Onion half cup chopped
- Pearl barley 1 cup
- Large bay leaf 1
- Boneless chuck roast 1 pound Cut into small pieces
- Carrots sliced 1 and a half cup
- Celery sliced 1 and a half cup
- Mushrooms sliced 8 ounces
- Beef base 2 tbsp You can use here beef broth as well but beef base works like a charm and I have to use just 2 tbsp for this recipe
- Take a pan and cook the beef according to your taste like how cooked you like your meat.
- When your beef is ready add it to a crockpot. Add the carrots, water, bay leaf, onion, celery, mushroom, and beef base.
- Cook at a high flame and then add the barley to it. Add salt and pepper to your taste and cook it until the beef and vegetables are cooked according to your requirements.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve it in a dish with fish crackers, some chili sauce, soya sauce, and lemon.
You can make some garlic or simple homemade bread with it as well for a wholesome meal. Now you can use any type of beef or the part of beef you like. If you have some leftovers from the previous BBQ then you can even use that in your recipe. A lot of people may ask here why I am browning my beef when it can be cooked in the pot. Browning will add more flavor and it will give a nicer taste when you are eating with the vegetables. If you don’t want to then skip the step and cook it in the pot. You can also add peas, broccoli, and other vegetables that you like to this soup. Moreover, you can use this recipe for your other meats as well.