Creamy chicken casserole is a popular main course served at dinner parties, church potlucks, and even Thanksgiving. With this recipe, you can never go wrong. It is one of the easiest and creamiest chicken casserole recipes that you will ever come across.
Also known as “Chicken Gloria”, this dish is a crowd pleaser. Everyone will become a fan of your creamy chicken casserole, from kids to adults. It is a simple, easy-to-make recipe which ensures the tenderest chicken and a creamy bite.
You can serve this fantastic main course with many side dishes such as mashed potatoes, cucumber tomato salad, or baked asparagus. It is best to serve with roasted or baked veggies if you have kids at home. So, they get all the nutrition in this delicious combo meal.
Let’s dive into the recipe:
Easy Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Let’s start by preparing the chicken casserole. Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and slice it into 1-inch thick strips.
- Add the chicken strips and season them with salt and pepper in a bowl. Coat well with the all-purpose flour.
- Take a skillet and saute the chicken strips until lightly golden on both sides. Set them aside.
- Take a casserole baking dish (13×9) and fill it with the sauteed chicken strips.
- Add olive oil, thickly sliced mushrooms, and onions to the same skillet and let them saute until they are soft.
- Add minced garlic to this mixture and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to the casserole baking dish and spread it over the chicken.
- Moving on to the sauce preparation, take a pan, add unsalted butter, and let it melt.
- Add all-purpose flour and whisk it well for at least one to two minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, and black pepper, and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the milk and heavy cream and give it a good stir. Add salt to taste.
- Now pour this sauce over your chicken in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil paper and set the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Place the dish inside the oven and let it bake for about 45 minutes.
- Your creamy chicken casserole is baked. Garnish with some parsley leaves and serve hot.
- For those who are allergic to or not a fan of mushrooms, don’t worry. You can use multiple substitutes of mushrooms in this exact recipe, and you can use frozen vegetable mix, asparagus, and caramelized onions.
- One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be easily reheated. Cover your chilled casserole with foil paper and bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.
- You can prepare a batch ahead of time as well. Just prepare the chicken and mushroom mixture and freeze it. The next day or the other, take out the frozen mixture, combine it with the sauce and bake.