Nothing is more comforting than fried hash browns with a lot of cheese. It is crispy and melting on the inside with flavors that no words can describe. Not only the kids but the adults are a fan of this recipe. I have been making it for family breakfasts, and everyone loves it. Some people even ask me to make these hash browns because they are so hard to resist.
These crispy, cheesy hash browns are very simple to make. You only need a handful of ingredients to make this recipe whenever possible. It can go with most of your main courses as a side dish. You can also keep it as a dish for tea parties, birthdays, holidays, and any event where you have many people coming over.
It is a treat; once you serve it with a ranch sauce or sour cream, everyone will go crazy for it. You can add some bacon or any meat to the potatoes, and it will be even more perfect. It is up to you to personalize this recipe according to your taste and liking.
Use freshly grated potatoes for crispy, cheesy hash browns
If you ever try this recipe, always start with peeling the potatoes and grating them in a large bowl. After that, rinse it in a colander and dry it with the help of a paper towel. Pat it until there is no moisture left in the potatoes. It helps in making the consistency right and getting the crispiness on the outside.
Personalize the cheese
You can even replace the cheddar with any of your favorite ones. For a spicy taste, I always recommend pepper jack for extra flavors. You can also go for Monterey jack for a delicious flavor. But grate it yourself because we will use fresh ones for this recipe. The fresh cheese quickly melts and does not require prolonged frying or cooking.
Storage tips for crispy, cheesy hash browns
You can keep it in the fridge for 5-6 days or freeze it uncooked for one month. Whenever you want to make it, bake, fry, or air fryer it according to your choice. You can make it in advance by making the mixture and keeping it in the fridge. So, you only have to fry them when you need to serve them.
Crispy Cheesy Hash Browns Recipe
- Salt 1 tsp
- Black pepper half tsp
- Unsalted butter 4 tbsp Divided
- Cheddar cheese shredded 1 cup
- Russet potatoes 2 peeled and grated
- Thyme 2 tbsp Divided
- Place the shredded potatoes in a bowl of cold water. Drain after an hour and squeeze out maximum moisture. Dry it again with the help of a paper towel.
- Add the potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp of thyme to another bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to a non-stick skillet and start adding the potato mixture in the form of a scoop.
- With the help of your spatula, gently press it to give it a nice shape.
- Fry it for 4-5 minutes on each side, then put it on a plate to cool.
- Season it with more thyme and serve it fresh to your friends and family.