Y’all, this farmer’s casserole recipe is one of my absolute favorites. It’s become a staple breakfast in my household over the years. This cheesy, eggy bake is perfect for lazy weekend mornings or for feeding a crowd during the holidays.
Once you try this, you’ll be hooked! It comes together quickly and bakes up with the most irresistible flavors.
Should I Use Bacon or Ham?
I usually make it with ham since I love the classic combo of ham, cheese and potatoes. But bacon would be delicious too – who doesn’t love a little smoky, crispy bacon in the morning?
You could cook up some bacon until nice and crispy, then crumble it up and stir it in. I may have to try that next time! Either one gives you that salty, meaty flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy eggs and potatoes.
What’s the Best Cheese for This?
Sharp cheddar is my go-to since it gives that iconic cheesy flavor. I also like to throw in some Monterey jack for its meltiness – it helps create the ideal creamy texture. But use whatever melty cheese you love! Colby, swiss, gruyere…get creative with the cheese here.
Should I Use Regular or Evaporated Milk?
I highly recommend evaporated milk rather than regular milk. The evaporated milk makes it ultra creamy and luscious. Regular milk can make it too thin and watery. Trust me, the evaporated milk makes a difference you can taste!
Can I Prep This Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! One reason I love this recipe so much is that you can assemble it the night before and just bake it when needed. You can also fully cook it, let it cool, and freeze it for up to 3 months. Then just thaw overnight and reheat when ready to serve.
It’s so nice being able prepare it in advance when cooking for company or holidays. This dish is a lifesaver for easy entertaining!
The Best Ever Farmer’s Breakfast Casserole
This easy breakfast casserole is loaded with flavorful ingredients like cheese, ham, onions, and potatoes. It’s perfect for feeding a crowd or prepping ahead for busy mornings.
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onions
- 11⁄2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 cups diced, cooked ham
- 6 cups frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
- Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- To make this casserole, start by greasing a 3-quart baking dish and spreading the hash browns evenly across the bottom. Next, sprinkle on the cheese, ham and green onions.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the top of the casserole ingredients. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the casserole for up to 24 hours before baking.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered for 1 hour 15 minutes, until the eggs are set. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving. For a chilled casserole, increase baking time to 1 hour 30 minutes.
This satisfying bake is perfect for weekend brunches or holiday breakfasts. Add a dash of hot sauce or serve with sour cream for even more flavor. However you enjoy it, this chef-worthy casserole is sure to become a new family favorite!