Classic Creamy Pea Salad takes me right back to my childhood. I remember my grandmother making big batches of it for every family picnic and potluck. One bite instantly fills me with nostalgia and comfort.
While pasta and potato salads may be more commonplace these days, pea salad deserves just as big a spot on the menu. It’s just as creamy, sweet, salty, and tangy – with pops of flavor from bacon, onion, and cheddar cheese. It comes together in only 10 minutes too!
Is pea salad outdated?
Pea salad may seem old-fashioned, but it definitely still has a place on today’s table! A little nostalgia never hurts. This saladalways gets rave reviews, even from those who’ve never had it before. I think it reminds people of simpler times.
The combination of flavors is hard to resist too. Sweet peas and sugar combine with sharp onion, smoky bacon, nutty cheddar, and a tangy sour cream dressing. It’s creamy but still refreshing. Even picky eaters seem to love it!
What kind of peas work best?
I highly recommend using thawed frozen peas. Canned peas tend to get mushy. Frozen peas retain that perfect, bright green pop of sweet pea flavor.
Make sure to thaw them first though, otherwise they’ll turn the dressing icy cold! Run them under cool water in a colander until thawed. Pat dry before adding to the salad.
Can I prepare this salad ahead of time?
Yes! In fact, this salad gets better after chilling for a bit. I like to make it 1-2 hours ahead and let those flavors meld.
You can even prepare it the night before. Just give it a quick stir before serving to recombine. Add a touch more lemon juice and salt if needed.
Garnish with extra crispy crumbled bacon right before serving. The salad will soften the bacon, so a fresh batch on top gives you both soft and crunchy bacon pieces. Yum!
This classic deserves a revival on your table. I hope you’ll give it a try and rediscover the nostalgic joy of creamy pea salad! It’s a crowd-pleasing side perfect for any occasion.
- 4 cups Thawed Frozen Peas
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (adjust according to taste)
- 8 slices Cooked and Crumbled Bacon
- 1/2 medium Diced Red Onion
- 1 1/2 cups Small Cubed Cheddar Cheese
Step-by-Step Easy Preparation Guide:
- Begin by whisking together the sour cream, mayonnaise, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, and salt in a large bowl, ensuring a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Gently fold in the peas, bacon, onion, and cheese, ensuring they’re evenly coated with the creamy dressing.
- Allow the salad to chill for at least an hour, enabling the flavors to blend beautifully.
- For an extra touch of flavor, garnish with additional crispy bacon just before serving.
This delightful pea salad is a perfect side dish for any gathering, offering a blend of creamy and crunchy textures with a flavorful dressing. It’s a versatile recipe that pairs well with various main courses, adding a fresh and satisfying element to your meal. Enjoy this simple, yet delightful, salad that’s sure to be a hit!