Real men love ranch eggs. Huevos Rancheros Casserole: spicy, cheesy, and a cinch to make, is my husband’s idea of “man food.” Full of protein and lycopene (good for men’s health), Huevos Rancheros Casserole is a patchwork of homemade tomato salsa, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Asadero cheeses, and eggs. It’s a one-pot wonder. Alongside the Huevos Rancheros Casserole, pile pan-toasted corn tortillas and serve confidently. No one, especially the hearty eaters, will leave the table unsatisfied. Today, my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers and I are focusing on “man food,” which is food that men, in particular, enjoy. There are scores of recipes below that were created with manly appetites in mind (including several recipes that include beer).
HUEVOS RANCHEROS CASSEROLE FOR ANY MEAL
Not just for breakfast, Huevos Rancheros Casserole is great to serve anytime of day and with minimal ingredients. Two cans of fire roasted tomatoes, diced onion and green pepper, a few spices, oil, eggs, and corn tortillas are all that’s needed. Garnish with cilantro or parsley. The salsa can be made a day ahead. Simmer the salsa and add eggs right before mealtime. Make batches of salsa to freeze–if you’re organized–and thaw it for quick meals. Remember to add the eggs.
Everyone needs a fast, inexpensive go-to meal. Make Huevos Rancheros Casserole one of the recipes that you reserve for quick meals and most robust appetites. Remember the tortillas!
For more “manly” meal ideas, visit the list of blogs below and join us for the fun later today as we meet at 7 p.m. ET for a Twitter chat.
HUEVOS RANCHEROS CASSEROLE
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 close garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you can take the heat)
- 2 17-ounce cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 6-7 large eggs
- ¾ cup Mexican blend cheese
- Cilantro or parsley sprigs (for garnish)
- 6-12 corn tortillas
- non-stick pan spray
- Heat oil to medium in large skillet, saute onions, peppers, and garlic until transleucent.
- Add spices in the order shown in the recipe. (I used only a pinch of salt, because the canned tomatoes have salt added.)
- Turn heat to low and simmer tomatoes and spices for 20-25 minutes on low heat. Spray another skillet with non-stick cooking spray and toast corn tortillas over medium heat until they brown (about 3 minutes on each side). Turn tortillas warm in oven until time to serve.
- Crack 6-7 eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin. Gently pour each egg into sauce.
- For sunny-side-up eggs, do not cover the pot. For well-done eggs, cover the pot and simmer until eggs set to desired doneness. Sprinkle cheese over the dish while its hot.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve over warmed tortillas.