Enjoying a lemon cake at home with the fluffy sponge cake and lemon icing is another level of comfort. A lot of people prefer lemon cake with their tea. You can just sit in the garden or your room and read a book while eating this comfort food. It is one of the simple and best desserts that you are going to love.
If you have kids at home, you might be making desserts every week. This could be your new recipe that they are going to love. You can make it for special events too like birthdays, anniversaries, and even for potlucks. Surely, people will keep praising your amazing cooking skills.
Lemon Cake Recipe
- Flour 1 and a half cups
- Lemon zest 1 tablespoon
- Salt half tablespoon
- Baking powder 1 and a half tablespoons
- Granulated sugar ¾ cup
- Eggs 2
- Butter half-cup It should be soft
- Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 1 and a half tablespoons
- Buttermilk half cup
To make syrup:
- Lemon juice squeezed from 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar 3 tablespoons
- Powdered sugar 1 cup
- Milk 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Preheat your baking oven to 350 degrees F while you grease a loaf pan.
- Take a bowl and add the flour, salt, zest, and baking powder. Mix it and work further on other ingredients.
- Set up your stand electric mixer and add the butter and sugar for the mixture. It should be creamed and in 4-6 minutes it will become fluffy.
- Add the eggs now gradually one at a time. Add the vanilla essence and lemon juice now. You will have a perfect and consistent mixture.
- Now take your dry ingredients and mix them with buttermilk. Slowly add your mixture and buttermilk, take your time at this part.
- Add your prepared mixture to the loaf pan and bake it for 50-55 minutes. The cake will be golden brown when it is ready or you can check it with the help of a toothpick.
- Put your cake on a cooling rack and mix the syrup ingredients quickly. Add it while your cake is warm and you will now be enjoying a lovely smell in your kitchen.
- Let it cool now for some time. Prepare the icing by adding lemon juice and milk first. Mix all ingredients well and whip it in the electric mixer. Cover your cake with this delicious icing and your cake is ready to serve. Let it cool for 4-5 hours or you can make it ahead for serving after 24 hours.
- If you do not have buttermilk at home then mix a half cup of milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice or you can add white vinegar. Let it sit and in a few minutes, your buttermilk substitute will be ready.
- The beating time of the sugar and butter matters a lot. The more beating time, the more will be your cake fluffy and delicious.
- Always squeeze fresh lemon juice fr making this cake.
- You can use orange juice as well and make yourself an orange cake following the same recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I think perhaps the measurements for salt and baking powder should be in teaspoons instead of tablespoons. The lemon cake was too salty and although it rose, it was flat with a courser crumb than I expected.
I read the recipe and first thing that came to mind was that’s a lot of salt and baking powder. I would like to know if the measurements are correct before I make it. I see above comment made it and thought too much salt and baking powder.