I’ve got a problem: I love Cabbage Rolls, but somehow I am not able to roll them right.
I can do what I want, they would always fall apart.
So I had to come up with something to fix this problem. The solution: a casserole!
In my whole life I will never go back to normal Cabbage Rolls again. This here is genius and tastes just like rolled ones.
First, I didn’t tell my husband what we were going to have for dinner tonight. He looked at it all weird, because (I admit) it does look kinda messy, but as soon as he had his first bite, he said that it is so good and tastes like Cabbage Rolls. Well, I count that as a success 😉
Try it yourself, even if you have no problems with rolling them.
Oh and did I mention: it’s a light dish, that won’t hurt your shape even if you eat a little more.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 – 1 head cabbage chopped
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt pepper, garlic powder
- shredded cheese 1 tablespoon for each serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Cook your rice according to package directions
- Cut cabbage in stripes
- Brown your beef and half of the onion in a skillet
- Transfer meat and onions to a big bowl
- Mix in the cabbage, tomato sauce, remaining onion, cooked rice, salt, pepper and garlic until well combined
- Transfer mixture into a 9 inch baking dish, pour chicken stock over it
- Bake for 30 minutes, take out and stir
- (if there isn’t enough liquid anymore, refill with 1 more cup of chicken stock)
- Bake for another 30-40 minutes
- Right before serving top with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese