Have you ever tried Elotes? Elotes, also called corn cob, is a special street food recipe for Mexican cuisine I tried during my travel. I instantly fall in love with this recipe due to the richness of flavors. The charred cob with sour cream, cheese, and spices. For some people, it can be a little spicy, but with my recipe, you can customize the spices. I was never a big fan of corn, but after trying it out, I cannot stop craving it.
It is perfect, and you will add it to your weekly meal list. Moreover, it is wholesome, like you will feel full after having this one corn. I tried spicy, and I got a hint of Cilantro, salt, pepper, and paprika. I think they use some BBQ mix that surely taste good. So, let’s move on with our amazing recipe to win your heart.
Mexican Street Corn Recipe
- Lime juice half tbsp
- 4 corn on the cob
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tajin 1 tsp
- Chili powder/Paprika 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Sour cream half cup
- Mayonnaise 2 tbsp
- Cotija cheese 1 cup
- Cilantro half cup
- Lime wedges Optional with serving
- Preheat the broiler and put the rack on the top of the oven. Clean your corns and make sure there are no hairy fibers on them.
- Rub the oil on the corn or use the help of a brush. Sprinkle salt and pepper and put it in aluminum foil on a pan.
- Bake it for 15 minutes until both sides are charred and shiny.
- Start preparing the other mixture during the baking. Add all the ingredients except for half of the Cilantro, cotija, and whole Tajin ingredient in a bowl.
- When the corn is done, apply this amazing mixture to each corn and sprinkle the Tajin, cotija, and Cilantro on the top.
- You can also add some lime juice on top or serve it on the tray.
- Serve it hot and fresh to your friends and family, and enjoy the compliments.
Why is it called Mexican street corn?
It is one of the popular and traditional street food items in Mexico. It is called elote and corn on the cob by the people over there. You will find it with various spices and cream mixture on top and colorful toppings.
How long should you grill corn?
To grill corn, 15-20 minutes are more than enough. You can take 5 more minutes to make it more charred. It is better to cook it without aluminum foil for a better-charred taste, but if you don’t want to ruin your rack, use the foil. It will help in quick cooking and ensure the corns do not burn.
Why is my corn getting dry?
It happens because you are overcooking it. The 15-20 minutes is more than enough for the corn. At this time, the corn is shiny, soft, and completely cooked to get this Mexican-style recipe ready. Overcooking will lead to a dry and a little burn taste in the corn.