Patti LaBelle is an iconic singer and also an amazing home cook. Her recipes are divine and I always wanted to try her macaroni and cheese pasta. When I first made it, I was amazed by the deliciousness of this cheesy treat. The cheese options I think made this recipe 10x better than the recipes I have been making at home. Everything was on point and even the kids will agree to it.
What are the other cheese options for Patti Labelle’s macaroni and cheese?
I have seen people recommending a lot of cheese options. But I never stick to just the ingredients I am using. If you have any other cheese than the ones I have mentioned in the recipe, you can use it. There is no wrong cheese in the world and I think all cheese lovers can agree that.
Notes for Patti Labelle’s macaroni and cheese:
It is better to shred your cheese but if you like you can even use the pre-shredded ones from the store. The fresh ones are better when it comes to melting.
If you like the other pasta more than macaroni, then you can use them as a substitute.
The reason why I cooked pasta for 7 to 8 minutes is that it should be undercooked. Because you will be cooking further in the oven.
If the pasta is overcooked, then just add some butter to it. It will keep the moisture away from the pasta and it will look better.
Ideas for serving:
The best thing about this recipe is that you can serve it as a side and as a whole meal. You can add some delicious sides with this recipe like a refreshing salad. You can easily enjoy some roasted veggies with this cheesy treat. If the idea is to serve meat with this recipe, then you can go for oven-baked chicken, pork, beef, and turkey. No matter what you serve, it will taste amazing.
Patti LaBelle’s Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of good ol’ vegetable oil
- 1 pound of your favorite macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter get that rich kind!
- 1 tablespoon more butter for good measure
- 1/2 cup Muenster cheese shredded up real nice
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar ’cause we’re mixin’ it up
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar for that extra kick
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack shredded like a pro
- 2 cups half-and-half creamy as a dream
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed (the secret touch)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten, just like my grandma used to
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt for a little spice
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper none of that stale stuff!
- Get that oven fired up to 350, like the desert at noon.
- Take a deep 2 1/2 quart baking dish and butter it up, lightly now.
- Fill a pot, big as a canyon, with water, and bring ‘er to a boil.
- Toss in your macaroni and that tablespoon of oil. Cook it for about 7 minutes or so, ’til it’s a bit tender.
- Drain that macaroni well, and bring it on back to the pot.
- Now, melt yourself 8 tablespoons of that butter in a small saucepan, and stir it into the macaroni.
- Round up all them shredded cheeses in a large bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, half-and-half, cubed cheese, eggs, seasoned salt, and pepper to the macaroni. Stir it like you mean it!
- Transfer to your buttered-up dish, and top it with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Dot it with that last tablespoon of butter, ’cause why not?
- Bake it up for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are as golden as a Western sunset and bubbling like a hot spring.
- Serve it hot, friends and neighbors. Makes enough for 8, or maybe just one hungry cowboy.