I knew I wanted to make some granola bars. And I knew that I wanted them to be soft and chewy instead of so crunchy that you end up having more crumbs in your lap than in your mouth. I wanted them to have lots of different awesome flavors and I wanted to feel no guilt when I ate them for breakfast….several times in a row.
Well, my friends. I succeeded.
I started off this experiment by melting and browning a big chunk of butter until it smelled nutty….almost toasty. I added peanut butter, a mashed banana, vanilla extract (so that everything smelt like cookies), and brown sugar. I’m assuming I have your full and undivided attention after THAT intro!
Mix in some dried fruit, some dark chocolate, and a bunch of oats. You’ll be tempted to stop right there, take out a spoon and polish off the whole bowl while watching a movie. Please don’t, it’s about to get SO much better!
After 30 minutes in the oven, and a painful (but necessary) 20 minute wait for them to cool, you’re in business! Did I mention these are full of healthy ingredients like dark chocolate and dried berries? That makes them nearly guilt free, which is great, in case you “accidentally” eat the whole pan in one sitting (which may or may not have happened here).
No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars
- 1 banana mashed
- 5 TBS brown butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ C brown sugar
- ¼ C peanut butter
- ¼ C dried blueberries
- ¼ C dried cherries
- ¼ C dark chocolate chunks
- ½ C walnuts chopped
- 1½ C oatmeal
- ⅓ C flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the first five ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients. Then mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Line a 8×8 pan with wax paper and then spray with non-stick spray. Pour in all batter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 9 squares and enjoy!