Hey there, ice cream lovers! Ready to whip up some heavenly homemade ice cream sandwiches? Trust me, these are gonna be the star of your next summer bash. Whether you’re a vanilla devotee or itching to try butter pecan ice cream sandwiches, this guide is your new BFF. Let’s get to it, shall we?
What’s in Ice Cream Sandwiches?
Ever wondered what goes into these tasty hand-held treats? Spoiler alert: it’s not much, but oh, the possibilities! So here’s the scoop:
- Ice Cream: Of course, you’ve gotta have ice cream. I used vanilla, but hey, go wild and use your fave flavor.
- Cookies: These are the ‘bread’ of your sandwich, folks! Chocolate is a classic, but the sky’s the limit.
- Extras: Think sprinkles, chocolate chips, or even a dash of cocoa powder. Make it your own!
And that’s it! Simple, right? Three main things and you’ve got yourself a treat that beats any store-bought version.
Tips for Making Ice Cream Sandwiches
So you wanna be an ice cream sandwich pro? Gotcha! Here are some tips:
- Butter: Use unsalted butter and make sure it’s room temperature. Trust me, it makes a difference.
- Cocoa Powder: Go for the good stuff, whether it’s natural unsweetened or Dutch process.
- Ice Cream: If you’re not making your own, choose a quality brand. You don’t want it melting into a puddle, right?
And if you’ve got more questions, check out my FAQs on ice cream.
How To Serve Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ready to serve these bad boys? Once you’ve made them, wrap each in plastic wrap and let them sit in the freezer for at least 4 hours. This makes sure everything sticks together. When you’re ready to dig in, just unwrap and enjoy! Oh, and you can even roll the edges in sprinkles or chocolate chips for extra fun!
What Do Ice Cream Sandwiches Taste Like?
Taste like? Honey, they taste like a bite of heaven! Imagine this: chewy cookies that don’t turn into rocks when frozen. Yup, that’s right! Then comes the ice cream—creamy and full of flavor, whether you stick to good ol’ vanilla or venture out with butter pecan. Each bite is a mini vacation for your taste buds.
I hope this guide gets you all excited to make your very own ice cream sandwiches. If you’re looking for more frozen dessert inspo, why not try my Oreo Ice Cream Cake or how about a Strawberry Cream Cheese Icebox Cake?
Happy ice cream sandwich making, y’all!
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- A rectangle baking pan (9×13 inches)
- A big cookie sheet (18×13 inches or half that size)
- Parchment paper
- A wire rack for cooling
- Vanilla ice cream 1 big container, about 3 pints
- Flour: 1 cup
- Cocoa powder: 1 cup
- Baking powder: Just a half teaspoon
- Salt: Another half teaspoon
- Softened butter: 1¼ cups
- Sugar: 1¼ cups
- Vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon
- Eggs: 2 large ones
- Ice Cream First: Let the ice cream sit out until it’s easy to scoop, but not melting. Line a rectangle baking pan with parchment paper and spread the ice cream. Stick it in the freezer.
- Heat Up the Oven: Set your oven to 350°F. Butter up your cookie sheet and cover it with parchment paper.
- Mix Dry Stuff: In a bowl, mix together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Butter & Sugar: In another big bowl, mix the butter and sugar until it’s nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time. Don’t forget to toss in the vanilla!
- Bring It Together: Mix your flour stuff into your butter mix. Spread it evenly on the cookie sheet.
- Bake It: Put it in the oven for about 10 minutes. It should look dry when it’s ready. Let it cool a bit.
- Make Sandwiches: Cut the big cookie into two equal parts. Put the ice cream between them and freeze again. Super easy, right?
- Ready to Eat!: When you’re ready to munch, use a warm knife to cut it into 12 little sandwiches.
- A warm knife helps you cut better.
- Add your fave extras like sprinkles or crushed cookies on the sides.
- Go for store-bought ice cream; it’s sturdier.
- Take your time and let everything cool before you put it all together.